Thursday, March 24, 2011

In The Beginning...

And in the beginning there was one...then two...then three. Natural triplets. How in the hell does that happen and how does it happen when there is no history and no miracle drugs. "One in a million" that's what Cisco says anyway, I think it's smaller, but either way it's a big number.

We had the first doctors appointment on May 5, 2010 and then saw Catherine. After a long long while of trying for a baby we were finally going to have one and we saw the tiny beginnings of our baby. So very tiny and small growing bigger every day. The doctor said everything looked great and he would see us back in two weeks.

Two weeks later he wanted to check in on Catherine to see how she was growing. Well the ultrasound machine that he was using didn't pick up a clear enough image so we needed to use the bigger and better machine in another room. The technician was looking and moving around and tells us, "Well they both have good heartbeats". "What do you mean two?" that was our reaction. She looked at us wondering why we were surprised. I think it occurred to her that we didn't know about the two until just then. She confirmed again, pointed them out and then proceeded to go and get the doctor. Shock and disbelief filled our faces. She gave us a little picture of Catherine and right next to her was Cecilia. The doctor said that I needed to come back in another two weeks so that he could see how the babies were progressing. I called my mom the minute we left the doctors office because I was so excited and I just still couldn't believe that I had two little babies growing inside my belly. She didn't believe me so much that she drove up to our house to look at the pictures.

Well two more weeks went by and so did another doctors appointment. Cisco couldn't go to this one since he had to work, so I went solo. Just a small check up on the little babies to see how they were developing. I laid down on the table and let the tech do her thing. She looked around, baby A was doing well with a nice strong heartbeat. Baby B was growing, she looked a little smaller but she had a good heartbeat and was growing since the last time she checked in on her. Upon looking around my belly more she said she saw another baby. She moved the little wand around and said that she indeed saw another heartbeat. "You are joking" was all I could get out. "You cannot be serious" was the other. It was just too hard to believe. I was trying to get used to the thought of two babies, and now this woman was telling me that I had three hanging out in there. I've never seen someone run out of the room to fetch a doctor so fast. He couldn't believe it either. I had to be seen by a high risk doctor as well as him so that I could be monitored closer. When leaving the room and waiting for the phone number all the nurses were so excited and happy for me. They told the doctor that he wasn't allowed to send me into that room anymore. It seemed that every time he did they found another baby. I told them not to worry because I wasn't going to be going in there any more either! They printed out another picture of all three babies and right above Catherine and Cecilia was little Charlie.

I went to my car, cried in disbelief, cried in misery, cried thinking about how my life was over, cried wondering how I was going to fit into the wedding dress that I just bought with triplets. After crying I took a picture of the ultrasound and sent it to Cisco with the message..."CALL ME NOW!!!" It didn't take long to get a phone call back. "What the hell?" was what I remember him saying. I told him the story in the doctors office and after that there wasn't too much more to be said, we were having three babies and he was at work when he heard so he had sit and think about that all night. That must have been fun....

No comments:

Post a Comment